Dog Adoption Process Overview
We do not guarantee the health of any animals offered for adoption. Any time you adopt an animal, you should take it to a licensed veterinarian as soon as possible. Your animal is, to the best of our knowledge, healthy, but will need to be started immediately on a program of preventative veterinary care.
Please be aware that the animals available for adoption are rescue animals and, as such, have often been exposed to a variety of diseases. Like human illnesses, these disorders can have an incubation period of up to several weeks. If the animal you adopt shows signs of illness at any point, please take it promptly to the vet for treatment.
The following statement is required by Virginia law: STERILIZATION OF ANY ADOPTED ANIMAL IS REQUIRED BY TITLE 3.2, CHAPTER 65 OF THE CODE OF VIRGINIA. THE ADOPTER AGREES TO ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR COMPLIANCE WITH THE PROVISIONS OF 3.2-6574 through 3.2-6578, WHICH PERTAIN TO THE TIMELY STERILIZATION OF THE ADOPTED PET. A PERSON WHO VIOLATES THIS ARTICLE IS SUBJECT TO CIVIL PENALTY. THE NEW OWNER MAY BE COMPELLED TO COMPLY WITH THE PROVISIONS OF THIS ARTICLE.
Our Adoption Process
- Review! Read this document for important information regarding adopting from Ruff Ranch Sanctuary.
- Submit an Application! Specify the dog you are interested in at the top of the application. Applications can be submitted at an event, faxed to us at 866?466-9187 or submitted via email attachment to Linda.Baker@RuffRanchSanctuary.com.
- Phone Interview! As a first step in processing your application you will be interviewed by one of our adoption counselors. This is the time for you to ask any questions that you may have about the organization, our processes and our dogs.
- Meet the doggy! Make sure you are a good match.
- Home check! You will be contacted to schedule a home check and an in-person interview.
- Vet & Personal Reference Check! If you own or have owned a companion animal we will contact your vet for a reference check for any animals that you have been responsible for as an adult. Please make sure to contact your vet to give them authorization for us to speak to them. Your references will also be contacted.
- Contract Signing! Once your interview, home check, and vet & reference checks have been completed and the review committee has approved your application, you will be contacted either by phone or email to give you final instructions for your contract signing.
- Take your new furry family member home! Congratulations, you have successfully completed the adoption process and have your new family member. In order to ensure your pet’s safety, please take a moment to attach the RUFF RANCH SANCTUARY tag that will be included in your adoption packet, as well as your own I.D. tag, to a collar and put it on your dog. You should be certain that the collar is fitted correctly so it doesn’t slip off of the dog’s neck. Ask an RUFF RANCH SANCTUARY volunteer if you need help. Statistics show that the highest risk time for a dog to get lost is within the first 24 hours of arriving at a new home. Don’t let your dog be a statistic.
If you have any questions, please contact Ron King: 239-980-0940